Interested in selling on Afrosmartshop? Welcome!
This guide helps you through the first steps of opening your shop, shares tips on how to get a strong start, and provides resources for further guidance along the way.
Get to know Afrosmartshop
Afrosmartshop is the global marketplace for products made in Africa. It’s home for organic, natural and unique handcrafted pieces right from commerce or artisans in Africa.
If you’re new to Afrosmartshop, take some time to get to know us. Review our seller policies and learn about fees for selling on Afrosmartshop to make sure that selling on Afrosmartshop is right for you and your business.
Open your shop
Before you create your shop, sign in or create an Afrosmartshop account. You’ll use this account to run your shop and to buy from other makers on Afrosmartshop. After creating your account, add your profile picture and bio to let other people in the Afrosmartshop community know who you are.
To open your Afrosmartshop shop:
- Click Sell on Afrosmartshop at the top right of Afrosmartshop.com.
- Click Open your Afrosmart shop.
- Choose your shop name, then click Save and continue.
You need to complete the first step of opening your shop on a desktop web browser. Once your shop is open, you can manage your shop on the Sell on Afrosmartshop app.
Do I need a business license to sell on Afrosmartshop?
Afrosmartshop doesn’t require sellers to have a business license to sell on Afrosmartshop.
However, when selling on Afrosmartshop you’re required to follow any laws that apply to you as a small business selling online. If you have any questions regarding which laws apply to you, please contact a qualified professional.
Finish your shop setup
Once you’ve signed up to sell on Afrosmartshop, there are a few steps you need to take to complete your shop setup and prepare to start selling items. Like any online business, you should think through key factors in your selling workflow. Consider things like production time, policies, and your plan for shipping.
Key shop elements to address:
- Banner and shop logo: Upload clear photos that represent the style of your brand and make a strong first impression on shoppers.
- Shop announcement: Share a brief welcome message with shoppers.
- About section: Upload videos or photos and share the story behind your products, how your business came to be, and what your vision is for your brand.
- Shop members: Introduce any other members of your team or people you collaborate with.
- Shop policies: Outline all your policies for shipping, returns, exchanges, payments, custom items, or any other guidelines that are important for shoppers to know before they make a purchase.
Marketing, branding, and promotion
A marketing strategy is key to the success of your Afrosmartshop shop. Marketing will help new customers find your products, lets you existing customers up to date with the latest with your shop, and can lead to an overall rise in sales.
Tips for getting started with marketing:
- Make sure you’re optimizing your shop for Afrosmartshop search. Make sure to add your location so that your shop can be found in local searches.
- Link your shop to your social media accounts so you can easily craft posts about your business.
- Consider marketing your shop through paid advertising.
- Consider offering discounts to incentivize shoppers to buy with sales and coupons.
- Find a local craft fair or market where you can sell your goods.
- Join the Afrosmartshop community on Facebook and teams where you can network with sellers and shoppers.
Manage your shop
After you’ve listed your items in your shop, there are other factors to manage as your business develops and grows.
Tips for managing your shop:
- Make sure you follow customer service best practices so you’re qualified for Afrosmartshop’s Seller Protection Policy.
- Learn what to do when you make your first sale.
- Read about Afrosmartshop’s Review system.
- Manage your shop on the go using the Afrosmartshop app.
- Take a break from your shop when needed.
Questions about setting up your shop?
Explore our Beginner’s Guides and the Seller Handbook to help you get started on Afrosmartshop.